Friday, August 14, 2009

Thinking of Shareena

Some foods hold a special place in our hearts. They are the foods that we grew up with. The special dishes made for special events. They are the dishes that at first smell takes us back, first sight makes our mouths water and first taste sends us into a special euphoria that can only be understood by the ones closest to you.

I am not Indian but Indian food has that kind of special place in my heart. Whenever I smell a curry simmering, the char of a tandoori oven or the sizzle of ghee I think of Shareena. Shareena was my bestfriend throughout middle school and high school. Her and her family where Muslims Indians who came from Fiji. Each member of her family had a chore to do and Shareena's was cooking. Shareena hated it though. She loathed cooking because she hated getting burned by the hot oil, chopping up all the ingredients especially the chillies and she mostly just hated the responsibility of it. I loved cooking though and once she figured that out I was at her house almost everyday helping her cook.

I remember the first time I went to her house. I had never had Indian food before. I was not familiar at all with all the new smells, and textures ant taste. It was so amazing. I had no idea what half the ingredients where but I didn't care it tasted so good. Nothing had a name, a gimmick, or had been Americanized. It was just simple tasty amazing food.In hind sight I realize that there was some Fijian influences that where mixed in there as well. Influences that I sort of miss at now when I go to Indian restaurants. I had many happy memories in Shareena's family kitchen. We really became friends while cooking curries, filling and folding samosas and chopping many many chillis.

Indian food also reminds me of one of the first dates I had with my fiance. He had never had Indian food and he was a bit scared of it. At that time he was not very good about trying new foods. I ordered tandoori chicken, rice, naan and matter paneer. I think alot like myself he just didn't know what to expect when it came to Indian food. But with one bite he was sold and with that I think he had a greater level of trust for me and our relationship grew a little stronger.

These were the sort of thought I had tonight when I ordered our favorite things from Mehak. I love Mehak because not only does the food take be back but the people serving it do too. I love the old couple that run the place, they always give us a little free dessert and a hug. Yes a hug. I don't know why I have never been to a restaurant where they hug me. It is not like they hug the other patrons either but for some reason the old grandma lady always hugs me. It reminds me of Shareena and her mom. It reminds me of the love that Shareena, her mom and this grandma lady put into their food. More importantly I think that even though the nice grandma lady at Mehak doesn't speak English we understand the same language of food. That always makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment